Christmas Tree Safety

Keep trees away from heat

One tip from the Greentown Fire Department is to make sure a tree is far away from any heat source. This includes candles, radiators, stoves, fireplaces and open flames.

Smokers should never light up near a Christmas tree.

Make sure you’re using the right lights

A Christmas tree isn’t complete without glittering lights. But always make sure the lights are labeled “UL” or “FM,” meaning they’ve met current safety requirements.

Tree lights should be examined for frayed wires and damaged plugs. While the more the merrier, it’s important not to overload electrical outlets or run wires under carpets or rugs. When positioning the tree, try to put it close to an electrical outlet to minimize the use of extension cords.

If you’re using an artificial metallic tree, only use remote spot or reflective lights, not electric lights.

For candle fanatics, keep them somewhere else. Lighted candles should never be placed on trees.

And before heading to bed or leaving the house, make sure you turn off those lights.

If you’re using a real tree

If you’re using a natural Christmas tree, make sure it’s a fresh one. Once it starts drying up and those needles start falling out, immediately dispose of the tree.

The Fire Department recommends that natural trees should be kept for no longer than two weeks.

For natural trees, it’s important to cut “one inch from base of tree to allow water absorption” and always keep the water receptacle under the tree full.

Never block exits

We urge everyone this holiday season to make sure doors, stairs, hallways, and fire escapes are not blocked by holiday decorations.

Never place decorations or a Christmas tree in front of an exit.

Menu